I am always looking for new appetizers to feed my teens. I try to keep things healthy but every once in a while I will feed them some fried goodies. My kids are fans of Southwest egg rolls, stuffed with Chicken, cheddar cheese, and corn that you find at Chili’s and some chain restaurants, To me that is boring. Since my teens are all big cheeseburger fans, I decided to try to make a cheeseburger in an egg roll. Yum!! This has all the classic notes of a cheeseburger but it is so much better!
I love the egg roll, but I am in love with the dipping sauce I created, which is a version of my famous Aunt Susie’s secret sauce for burgers. My family, nieces and nephews, adore this sauce that I make that has become a classic for our cookouts. I made my own eggroll wrappers for these, but I would have used store-bought if I had known I was making this.
I hope you give this a try. It is so savory and good, don’t omit the pickles, the vinegary bite from the brine, along with the creaminess of the cheese is so amazing! I barely could contain myself to shoot pictures before diving in! I swear, and I don’t go in for fried food to be honest. This just begs to be devoured! I promise.
Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
The perfect party appetizer, a cheesy burger filling inside a crispy egg roll!
- 1 pkg. of Egg roll wrappers
- 1/2 lb of ground beef
- 1/4 onion finely diced
- 3 whole dill pickles chopped
- 4 slices of Land O’Lakes yellow American cheese
- 2 tbsp. of Marscapone cheese or cream cheese
- 2 tsp. of Montreal Steak seasoning
- 1 tsp. of olive oil
- one squeeze of yellow mustard
- 1 squeeze of ketchup
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Canola oil for frying
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of chili sauce
- a large squeeze of Siracha
- 1 tbsp. of India relish
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- juice of half a lemon
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Method: In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients, mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use. Leftovers can be stored in mason jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- In a large frying pan, add a tsp. of oil, saute onion until soft and translucent, about 4 min. then add ground beef, and seasonings. Saute until cooked through, when no longer pink add cream cheese and yellow American cheese. Mix well. Remove from stove, squeeze in ketchup and yellow mustard, mix in chopped pickles. Let mixture cool slightly.
- Begin to assemble egg rolls. Remove from wrapper or if using fresh remove from between wax paper layers. Have a small bowl of water ready to moisten ends of wrappers if need be. I did not need to seal ends with water, dough held together nicely. On a cutting board lay out the point of the egg roll wrapper in a diamond like fashion. down the center of the eggroll line the eggroll with cooled filling. Bring the closest point near you to the middle of the eggroll and filling, next take the sides so that they fold in resembling an envelope, roll tightly to form a egg roll. Finish process the same way until all wrappers are filled.
- In a cast iron skillet or dutch oven, fill with canola oil, let come to 350 degrees, use a candy thermometer to measure the oil temperature, fry until lightly golden, drain on a baking sheet lined with a baking rack, drain. Slice on the bias (diagonally) and serve immediately with sauce of your choice or Aunt Susie;s Secret Sauce. Enjoy!