My mother use to make amazing roast beef. It was always perfectly cooked with a nice red tinge and just delicious. She had a particular method for baking it and the only thing I remember is her using mayonnaise, sadly it died with her and I can’t seem to replicate hers. In my frustration, many years ago I began making this as a tribute to her. I think she would approve even though it is vastly different than what she made. I like to take thin slivers of garlic, to infuse the meat. I then take a clove and mince it into some Italian seasoned bread crumbs, and mix with fresh thyme and dried marjoram.
I then slow roast it to allow the flavors to penetrate the beef and it is flavor on steroids with the addition of the crumbs, herbs, and the infusion of the garlic. I hope you give this a try. I usually serve this with my creamy horseradish sauce, as well as mashies drenched in gravy, but since I will be making them this week I decided to make some spicy potato wedges, that may turn into some sexy disco fries, ala Jersey, if you have never heard or never had, you are in for a treat, usually served in many New Jersey diners, disco fries are french fries topped with melted gooey cheese thick brown gravy, and topped with fresh green onions, and it is a sinfully, sexy way to eat some proper french fries…damn if only I wasn’t dieting….so for me, some lovely roasted asparagus that I intend to devour!
Give this one a try. It is a lovely family dinner.
Garlic & Herb Crusted Roast Beef
A wonderfully delicious beef dish that is full of flavor and so tender!
- 1 5 lb. Eye round roast beef
- 3 cloves of garlic, 1 minced 2 sliced as thinly as you can
- 3/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp. of melted butter
- 1 tbsp. of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. of dried marjoram
- 1 tsp. of onion powder
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Take roast beef out of refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 25 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325°. When meat is at room temperature, begin to make small slices in the meat in various spots all over to allow sliced garlic to fit in. Stud the meat all over with garlic. Don’t worry the slits will be covered with mayo and bread crumbs. Season generously with salt and pepper, then coat liberally with mayonnaise. Set aside.
- In saute pan over medium heat, melt butter, add in minced garlic, herbs and bread crumbs. Toss well to coat then remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly so you can use your hands. I have Teflon hands so that is about a minute. Then begin coating the roast beef all over well with the mixture. Place in roasting pan. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and roast for about 1 1/2 hours to two hours. Check for doneness at 1 hour and 10 minutes. You want an instant read thermometer to reach 145 for medium rare, which is how I like to serve mine, or 160 for medium, and not recommended but 170 for well done. Remove from oven, place on cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Devour!