I love eggplant. I love everything about it, taste, texture, versatility! Love, love, love it! I use to adore fried eggplant, I don’t however, adore the calories and fat. So I make it in the oven now and have learned to love it even more! Plus I am getting healthy eating what I love.
Sometimes when I make this I use my homemade marinara sauce to top this with. But I will say, I like adding the fresh tomatoes to this maybe a bit better, because I am getting the extra veggie bang for my buck! If you are not a fan of eggplant, I urge you to give this a try. It is so easy, so healthy and so delish, you might just like the roasted flavor a bit more then fried!
Oven Roasted Eggplant Parm
A simplified version of an Italian Classic, that's quick, lightened up but just as satisfying!
- If you want to up the protein in these, you can add some proscuitto or even sliced cooked turkey or chicken sausage to these. Just add them under the cheese so they don’t dry out!
- 1 large eggplant sliced into thin slices (I left the skin on)
- 3 large Roma or vine ripe tomatoes sliced thinly seasoned with Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup of Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tsp. of Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Drizzle a sheet pan with some EVOO. Season eggplant slices with salt and pepper. Bake in oven about 10 minutes or until lightly golden, turn over, remove from oven, place a tomato slice or two on each eggplant slice, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top, then sprinkle with some Pecorino Romano cheese, and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning. Drizzle some EVOO over them. Bake for 10-15 more minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly then devour!