I have to admit I am not a big fan of pork. I do love pulled pork carnitas, and spicy Italian sausage, but I don’t go crazy for pork chops, loin of pork or any other pork to be honest. However, once in a while I do crave a good juicy pork chop for some reason. I remember my Mom using Shake and Bake to make hers, but I prefer to use panko breadcrumbs with a little bit of cornmeal mixed in. It gives them a great base of coating and they taste so good.
I prefer to make these in the oven as I just think you can make them a bit healthier, without excess the excess oil of frying. I make them on a sheet pan with some oil and butter and it makes for the perfectly moist and crispy pork chop. Serve with my homemade cinnamon applesauce, and some mashies and you have the perfect comfort food dinner!
Oven Fried Pork Chops
Pure comfort food that's quick, easy and so tasty!
- 5 bone in pork chops (if you use boneless reduce time to 10 minutes per side)
- 2 tbsp. of unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. of canola oil ( I added half a tablespoon and another half when I turned them)
- 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs lightly beaten with a large splash of milk
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° Place a sheet pan in the oven with butter to melt. Meanwhile in a large plastic Ziploc bag, add breadcrumbs, cornmeal, and cayenne pepper. In a large pie plate beat eggs with milk. Season pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides. Dip in egg and then add one pork chop at a time to the bag, close grasping the bag tight, shake and coat well on each side. Pork chops plate until all pork chops are coated well.
- Remove sheet pan from oven, add canola oil to butter, then place pork chops on sheet pan. Bake 12-15 minutes, then flip over and bake another 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, Let rest about 5 minutes, Serve with my Cinnamon Applesauce if desired. Devour!