I am convinced if you put your mind to it, you can turn anything you love into a dip. Pizza is one of those dishes that everyone adores in some fashion or another. I love to deconstruct my favs and turn them into dips. This is my take on pizza dip.
This has all the components of pizza and actually would probably make a killer pasta dish. Note to self, get on that for the next blog entry. I thought that to make this dip extra cheesy from the bottom up I would incorporate shredded provolone cheese into cream cheese, for tangy sharpness, along with some Pecorino Romano cheese, then use a blend of fontina and mozzarella for the cheese topper, all that cheese, four of them, with some classic pizza toppings, hence the “quattro formaggi” four cheeses in Italian. Serve this with some garlic crostini and I swear you are in for a real treat, but to be honest, I like it with some celery and carrot sticks.
Either way you serve this, it will be a dip you want to serve over and over again, and it absolutely is a pizza lovers dream!
Quattro Formaggi Pizza Dip
Pizza Nirvana in a dip!
- You can vary the toppings to your liking.
Credit: CrazySexySavor.com/Susan Mangieri-Maurath
- 1/3 cup of shredded sharp or mild provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup of Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup of Fontina cheese (Fontina cheese is an Italian cow’s milk cheese that melts beautifully, you can find this in most grocery cheese sections, or specialty cheese stores,
- 8 oz. of very softened cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 oz. of pepporoni sliced, or enough to cover surface, you can use turkey pepporoni which is so delish
- 3 spicy sausage links, casings removed crumbled and fully cooked
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 1 3/4 tsp. of Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 jar of pizza sauce, homemade marinara, or homemade pizza sauce
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, minced garlic, provolone cheese, and a teaspoon of Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer the softened cream cheese and provolone mixture on bottom of pie plate or casserole. Spread evenly, next sprinkle the Pecorino Romano cheese, next the pizza sauce, then add the cooked sausage, diced green pepper, last the combined mozzarella and fontina cheese. Sprinkle with some Italian seasoning, top with pepperoni, artfully placed on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until desired doneness is achieved. Serve immediately with crostini, pita chips, or crudités if desired. So yummy! Devour!