I love a good cookie, I really do. I can eat one or two or five, and just bask in the afterglow of the perfection of it all. Or maybe it’s a carb high, either way it is a ritual I indulge in when the holidays roll around. This year, however, things will be a little different since I am on a healthy diet and cut out sugar, carbs and all that sinful stuff.
I just love a good shortbread cookie dipped in chocolate though. Then take some glorious, buttery hazelnuts, baked in for good measure, dipped in some quality chocolate and you have a party happening in your mouth! Truly!
I like to cut these out with my finger shaped cookie cutter, but you can just cut into slices and bake off. Either way you slice it, see what I did there? Yes, it amused me! You have one amazing tasting cookie!!
Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies
A kicked up shortbread cookie, that's elegant, easy, and simply delish!
- This makes about 2 dozen cookies if you keep them about an inch or so thick. Credit: CrazySexySavor.com/Susan Mangieri-Maurath
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. of vanilla
- 1 cup of chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp. of maple syrup for deeper flavor, it compliments the hazelnuts in my opinion, can be omitted
- 6 oz. of chopped chocolate like Ghiradelli, or good quality chocolate chips. Melt in microwave or over glass bowl set over gently boiling water
- In mixing bowl cream butter, beating well. Add sugar, maple syrup and vanilla together. Scrape sides down, add egg, beat well, add in flour, mix to combine, stir in hazelnuts. Form into large roll if slicing, or flat disk if using a cookie cutter. You can bake off right away or cover tightly with plastic wrap for later use.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Cut into 1/4 inch slices, or roll out on floured board using rectangular cookie cutter to form shapes. Place 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 11-15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Melt chocolate and dip cooled cookies into chocolate. Allow chocolate to harden and serve immediately or store in sealed air tight container. Devour!