Now before you say anything, keep any open mind. This recipe was created with a healthy consciousness that is emerging in me. I have to be honest pancakes are not my go to breakfast choice and never have been. It’s not that I don’t like them, it’s just that I need protein in my breakfast, or I find I am much hungrier a hour or two later. I am currently on a low carb, high protein diet, and I am always mindful of finding some creative ways to get both in.
This recipe was born out of the need to have a savory breakfast pancake with some feel good flavors that paired well with my egg. When I tasted this for the first time, I was floored by the flavor, and immediately realized this would make a perfect appetizer, and even a savory breakfast muffin. I kept it low carb, and as healthy as a pancake could be. I used organic whole wheat flour, and a bit of unsweetened coconut, not carbless, but is not a bad swap for a sweet, butter and maple syrup laden pancake.
Feel free to pair this with a poached or fried egg for breakfast, or as a savory treat with my spicy cumin yogurt topping, as shown in the picture! I devoured the prop with the fried egg on it before I had a chance to snap a pic, but trust me it was delish!! I hope you give this a try, it really is a nice change of pace from the traditional breakfast pancake.
Savory Carrot Pancakes
A healthy savory pancake that is the perfect accompaniment for a fried egg or served as a tasty appetizer!
- You can use coconut flour, or even chickpea flour in this recipe. The unsweetened coconut lends a nice mild flavor that pairs perfect with the sweetness from the carrots.
- 3 grated, shredded carrots
- 1 1/4 cups of organic whole wheat flour
- 3 scallions chopped whites only
- 1/2 cups of unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. of dried dill
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. of EVOO
- about 2 tbsp. of butter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, unsweetened ground coconut, baking soda, baking powder, cayenne, dill, and salt and pepper to taste, add shredded carrots. Mix well to incorporate, add in oil, milk and beaten egg, mix to combine.
- On medium heat, heat a cast iron skillet or griddle with a little bit of EVOO and some butter, let it get hot, then spoon pancake batter. You can make these as large or as small as you prefer. Cook as you would any other pancake, just be careful not to let these burn. Serve with a fried egg or with my spicy cumin yogurt. Recipe below.
For the Spicy Cumin Yogurt
- 1 cup of Greek non-fat yogurt
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 1/2 dried dill
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- scallion greens for garnish
In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, mix well to combine. Serve with warmed pancakes. This is a nice dip to serve with veggies or with a black bean burrito. Perfect! xo