This recipe was born out of my love of chutney and sweet chili sauce. Two very distinct flavors but so many perfect elements. This is almost a chutney, but I didn’t use curry powder or vinegar. I did however, use Sambal Oelek which is a beautiful Asian chili paste that I just adore. The flavors of this are definitely Asian, but I am pairing it with the all American Pork Chop. I love to co-mingle my cuisine. I have a theory that if everyone would learn to do this, there would be noway you could not feel anything but love and tolerance for other cultures. That is my hope!! OK, off my soap box, back to my sauce. This sauce is simple, easy, and just so versatile. This sauce would absolutely work with beef, chicken and fish. I am using it for oven baked pork chops tonight, but truly this would be beautiful with grilled chicken, or skewered beef, hmm, I think that may have to be another recipe.
I hope you give this a try, it is not overtly spicy, but it does have a nice kick, and it has just enough sweetness to please anyone who may not think they like a little spice to their food.
Sweet and Spicy Mango Sauce
An Asian fusion sauce, that is the perfect blend of sweet and spicy!
- Two ripe mangos peeled and diced
- 1/2 small onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp. Sambal Oelek
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- zest of one orange
- 2 tbsp. of golden raisins
- 2 tbsp. of brown sugar
- 2 tsp. of EVOO
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 3/4 tsp. of allspice
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat saute onion and garlic in EVOO, about three or four minutes until translucent. Add in mango, and mix well. Let cook about two minutes, then add in orange juice, orange zest, allspice, brown sugar, Sambal Oelek and raisins. Season with salt and pepper. Let sauce cook down, chopping up the mango a bit. It should thicken and be the consistency of apple sauce in about 15 minutes. Remove from stove and stir in chopped fresh cilantro. Serve warm or at room temperature with pork chops or any food you desire.