This is the perfect dish for a busy weeknight, or lazy day lunch. Using leftover chicken or store bought rotisserie chicken, makes this come together rather quickly, it’s perfect. You can even char the poblanos one day before you plan to make this, seed them and chop, and put in a sealed container for the next night’s use. This dish gives new life to leftover chicken and is done in less than 30 minutes, from stove top to table.
This Tex Mex Skillet Chicken with Charred Poblanos, is served in a rich creamy cheesy sauce, with a mix of Mexican spices that is the perfect blend of a little heat with some jacked up flavor! I like to add in some frozen corn, and this dish is the perfect Mexican comfort food!
I hope you give this one a try! It is a simple, understated, one pan wonder!
Tex Mex Chicken Skillet with Charred Poblanos
A creamy, cheesy delicious, Tex Mex dish that is pure comfort!
- You can make this faster if you char the poblanos the day before, remove the charred skin, seed, and dice, keep sealed in a covered container in the fridge for later use. You can skip putting this in the oven and just let the cheese melt on the stove top, to save time!
- 2 or 3 Poblano peppers, depending on size, mine were small I used 3
- 2 cups of leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken shredded by hand
- 4 oz of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 1/4 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend or shredded Montery Jack cheese
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tbsp. of taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp. of solid vegetable shortening
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Sour cream, lime wedges and chopped fresh cilantro for garnish if desired
For the Poblanos
Set oven to broil, line a broiler pan with foil, rub unpeeled poblano peppers with a tiny drizzle of EVOO, rub all over peppers. Broil about three or four minutes a side, until they get nice and charred. Set aside to cool, and in about five or ten minutes, peel off blackened skin, and seed peppers. Rinse to remove all the seeds, chop for the Tex Mex Skillet Chicken with Charred Poblanos.
To assemble and make the dish
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat on medium high heat, add vegetable shortening, and saute onion and garlic about two minutes until soft. Add in chicken, and spices, season with salt and pepper, add in cream cheese, and let melt. Add in poblano peppers, and corn, add in chicken stock to loosen mixture. You want this mixture to be a bit thick.
- Heat oven to 450°.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and cook uncovered stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or so. Add in heavy cream and cook through for another five minutes. Top with shredded cheese and put in the oven for another 10 minutes or so to let cheese melt and get gooey!! Then serve immediately. Devour!