One of my favorite Italian appetizers is beef carpaccio, which is paper thin sliced rare beef tenderloin, usually served with shaved parmesan cheese and hollandaise sauce. I will only order it from trusted places as it served rare and food safety is paramount at all times, but most importantly when serving rare items or raw egg based food. Which is strongly discouraged if you suffer from a weakened immune system, as bacteria in uncooked food could potentially pose a serious health risk.
Not the case with my beet, yes the glorious purple veggie that looks odd when you see if in the produce section but is so delish when roasted, this sexy Beet Carpaccio with Fresh Ricotta and Toasted Pistachios. This is a great appetizer or lunch or even a light dinner. The flavors are so perfect when paired with the light lemon vinaigrette and delicate greens, the toasted pistachio nuts, fresh, creamy ricotta, such as my Homemade Italian Style Ricotta Cheese.
This is just perfection. If you don’t have fresh ricotta, you can use goat cheese. I wouldn’t use store bought ricotta as this would be bland and not the same taste.
I hope you give this a try. It really is a sophisticated, sexy dish, that is as perfect for entertaining as it is for a extra special lunch for yourself!
Cleaned and scrubbed beets. Roasting will yield a delicate but hearty flavor.
Preheat an oven to 375°. Season unpeeled beets with salt, cracked black pepper and some EVOO. So good!! Cover with foil and let this roast for about 1 hour and 15 min. Let them cool slightly and skins will peel off with ease.
Roasted and looking lovely. Cool slightly and peel.
Slice with a sharp knife or mandolin, arrange on plate, top beets with sliced onion, baby greens dressed in a lemon vinaigrette, top with fresh ricotta cheese, and toasted pistachios. This was lunch and it was so delish!! Truly!
Beet Carpaccio with Fresh Ricotta and Toasted Pistachios
A Vegetarian twist on an Italian classic, that's, easy, sophisticated, healthy and tastes amazing!
- Use fresh beets for this.
- 3 or 4 large beets, scrubbed and dried, skin on.
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup of chopped toasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup of fresh ricotta or goat cheese if prefered
- baby greens
- juice of one lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp. of dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of EVOO plus some for drizzling over the beets
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Place beets in a 8×8 glass baking dish or use a sheet pan, season beets with salt and pepper, drizzle with EVOO, cover with foil and roast in 375° oven for an hour and 15 min. or until fork tender. Let cool for several minutes and when you are able to handle the beets peel skin and set aside.
- To make the lemon vinaigrette, in a glass bowl, add the juice of one large lemon, I used a Meyer lemon, add in dijon mustard, season with salt and pepper, whisk as you begin to drizzle in EVOO, whisking continuously to make an emulsion. Set aside.
- With a sharp knife or mandolin, slice beets to mimic thinly sliced beef carpaccio. Arrange on plate. Slice red onions thinly and top the beets arranged on plate.
- Add salad greens to bowl with vinaigrette, and coat the greens well. Top the beets with the dressed salad greens, top with fresh ricotta and sprinkle on the toasted pistachio nuts. Serve immediately. Mangia!
2 Comments Add yours
This looks AMAZING
LikeLiked by 1 person