This is the perfect date night in appetizer, or a nice side. Made with canned or frozen artichokes this goes together in no time. This will soon be your favorite go to!
Drain a 15 oz. can of artichoke hearts, split in half. Dry with a paper towel, season with Kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
Two eggs beaten with a healthy dose of hot pepper sauce. Flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Season at every level. I like to dredge in the flour in one place, plate, then move my egg batter closer to the hot skillet, to drop as I go. Makes it easier and less of a mess.
Add a little EVOO to a hot skillet, tiny bit, and let it do it’s thing until you get a light coating on your batter. If you use very little EVOO, you don’t have to clean your skillet, if you go hog crazy, then wipe some out. You don’t want these sitting in oil like some Italian Restaurants tend to do. You can see there is very little oil in here. So I didn’t need to wipe it out and I like the flavor!
Add the butter and let it melt into the pan, swirl pan to evenly distribute, when melted add in white wine, and lemon. Full disclosure here, I almost always use capers, and I swore I had them in the fridge or cupboard, of course I did not, but being the trooper that I am, I forged on and it was equally as good. I prefer the capers but it was still delish!
This is your sexy side result. Move to serving plate, spoon over pan sauce. Garnish with chopped Italian flat leaf parsley, and a squeeze of fresh lemon and you have an amazing simple but elegant side or app!
An easy understated elegant side dish or appetizer that is perfect for any occasion!
Credit: CrazySexySavor.com/Susan Mangieri-Maurath
- 1 15 oz can of artichoke hearts halved and drained
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp. of capers if desired, rinsed or unrinsed, I love the brine, but you do you
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose unbleached flour
- splash of hot pepper sauce
- juice of on lemon, plus the zest
- 5 tbsp. of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- olive oil
- Heat a large frying pan with a tbsp. of butter and tbsp. of olive oil
- Dry artichokes and season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour
- Shake off excess flour.
- In a bowl, combine egg and pepper sauce, dip artichoke into beaten egg add to hot pan, fry until golden. Remove to plate.
- With a paper towel, clean out frying pan, add remaining butter, put back on burner, add lemon juice and white wine, let thicken slightly, add artichokes back to pan. Simmer for 5 minutes, top with capers and fresh parsley, transfer to serving dish cover, to keep warm.
One Comment Add yours