I am always creating spreads for sandwiches and fillings for appetizers. I was looking for a different ways to incorporate bacon and Habanero peppers. When, I first made this with orange marmalade and spicy habanero peppers and it was amazing. This time around I wanted something a bit more subtle and this is what I came up with.
I hope you give this a try, i this Maple and Brown Sugar Bacon Jelly, is perfect with my Easy Cheesy Beer Bread, or as a sandwich spread for Paninis or any “sammie” you prefer!!
Maple and Brown Sugar Bacon Jelly
A spicy condiment that is so versatile, it may just begin a new craze!
Credit: CrazySexySavor.com/Susan Mangieri-Maurath
- 8 pieces of bacon
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 tsp. of dried thyme
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup of pure maple syrup
- a large splash of dark rum
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan fry bacon until crisp. Remove to plate lined with paper towel to absorb the excess grease, set aside. In the bacon grease, add in onion, garlic and saute about five minutes, then add brown sugar and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper, remove frying pan from stove and add in rum. Add back to heat, stir well to combine. Let thicken for another 10 minutes. Then serve.
- For sandwiches or my Easy Cheesy Beer Bread, spread on bread while warm. Use for Paninis or sandwiches. Store extra in fridge for up to 2 weeks.