My father grew up in the midst of the Great Depression, he was also the youngest boy of twelve children, born to Italian Immigrant parents, he was the first generation born in this country, and his father passed away shortly after the birth of my aunt, his sister. This left my Grandmother Lena with the heavy burden of raising 12 children in a tiny apartment in Jersey City. Ok so you’re thinking sad, but what the hell does this have to do with the recipe? So my Dad being born during the Great Depression, and being in a family of eleven siblings, my father learned from a very early age that not only was it a “sin” to waste food when others have so little, for this was not only in my father’s family but in many other families at that time, so you truly learned that you… DID NOT LET ANYTHING GO TO WASTE!
Fast forward to my youth and I learned the value of using food and leftovers to morph into a few meals that stretched into the week. I will admit this is why I am not fond of leftovers sometimes, but I do like to use them to create other dishes when I can. Thank heavens, my fireman grew up the same way, and he actually loves eating my leftovers for lunch, for one because well I am a pretty good cook, and for another, he loves not having to spend money on sub par lunch elsewhere!
So I had some leftover Buttermilk Biscuits from Sunday Breakfast, and well I am my father’s daughter, so I couldn’t bare to throw them away, and this Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit Bake, was born. This was simple to put together because I had leftover bacon (you can refrigerate leftover bacon, and keep it in a plastic zip bag, and reheat it for later use in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute on a microwave safe plate, uncovered, depending on your microwave, and use as needed. So doing this is a time saver tip for busy weekday breakfasts, and it keeps for five days in fridge) so doing this made this dish really came together in a flash, and I was able to make it, bake it, and take it, in about 30 minutes. This was a breakfast my fireman and I shared at the shop the same morning, when it was crazy busy, and we barely had time to make eye contact, let alone stop for a bite to eat, but I will say this, this Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit Bake, was flipping yummy, and it wasn’t too bad in terms of calories, as I did a 3 egg to two egg white ratio, used four slices of bacon, and four biscuits, halved to fill a pie plate, and I ate a sliver of this and was full. Not just because I can’t consume much food at once anymore, but we had leftovers and my hubby can eat at least half was leftover for the next morning! This is filling, and somewhat figure friendly, since you get a nice dose of breakfast goodies but for half of the calories and you can eat around the biscuit if you want to avoid the carbs!
I know my kidlets are going to flip for this when I make this Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit Bake, next time for them. I can totally see this as a lunch, or lite dinner option with a nice salad. It hope you give this one a try. It is so easy, and so delicious, you won’t even need to breeze through any fast food drive through to have a quick, hearty, satisfying breakfast!
Cut 4 biscuits in half and place dough side up in a oven safe pie plate. You can double and make this in a 9×13 glass baking dish to feed a larger crowd.
In a large glass bowl, beat eggs and egg whites with a wire whisk until light and fluffy. Add in milk, heavy cream, mix well to incorporate. Add in pieces of bacon, and cheese, season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. Mix with a wooden spoon.
Pour mixture over the biscuits, arranging the bacon by hand if need be. Use a spoon to make sure that the biscuits are nice and wet from the egg mixture. You want to ensure they soak up the the egg mixture so they stay moist when baking. Place in preheated 400° oven for 20 minutes, checking to ensure that eggs do not over cook. Up to 25 minutes may be needed to set up, but be sure to check sooner if your oven runs hot!
She is looking lovely and ready to eat! Wait five minutes before cutting and serving, if you can!! This was so delish! I can’t even begin to tell you! So, so good, and so easy! You can do this! Trust me your family will love you for it!! xo
Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit Bake
A super simple, super delicious breakfast bake that is simply the perfect breakfast!
- You can use any cheese you like, I thought the taste of the Colby Cheddar hand shredded, was perfection in this!
- 3 whole eggs and the whites of two
- 4 leftover or made fresh biscuits, sliced in half
- 1/3 of a cup of shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1/3 cup of 1 % milk
- 4 strips of cooked bacon, ripped in peices
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a pie pan or small 8×8 baking dish layer biscuits dough side up. I was able to lay all 8 pieces in a pyrex pie plate perfectly.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs and egg whites together until well beaten. Add in heavy cream and milk and beat to incorporate. Scatter in cheese and bacon, add in salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix with wooden spoon to incorporate ingredients. Pour egg mixture over biscuits in plate. Using hands or spoon, make sure biscuits are coated with egg mixture, and arrange bacon if needed if pieces seem to back up one biscuit. You want even distribution so your kidlets won’t argue over who’s piece has more bacon, and you know they will, too! Sprinkle a bit more cheese over top if desired! I always want MORE cheese!
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Check to make sure eggs are set and firm. Up to 25 minutes if you like a firmer base.
- Remove from oven cool 5 minutes then serve immediately!! Devour!!
© CrazySexySavor.com 2018. All rights reserved. Images and content copyright protected.