My trio of angels love, love, love, potatoes. Baked, mashed, fried, and souped. One of their favorite soups is a loaded baked potato soup that Panera Bread has. I personally am not a big fan of creamed soups, but I make it for my lovies becasue, well that’s how I roll! I use to make a potato and corn chowder with a chicken stock, and cream base, but they much prefer this tweaked version. So for the last two or three years I have adapted this to be more in line with what they adore at Panera Bread.
I serve this two ways. In a bread bowl and with a warm roll on the side in a bowl. Either way you serve this you will get rave reviews! I promise!
Deconstructed Loaded Baked Potato Soup in a Bread Bowl
A comforting, hearty soup, that's quick, easy, and oh so satisfying!
- Mini bread rounds
- 5 baking potatoes
- 5 cups of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 5 slices of bacon cut into strips (I use kitchen shears to cut and plop right into my Dutch oven)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- splash of white wine
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Coat potatoes with a light coat of EVOO, I just put some on my hands and rub the potaotes, sprinkle with salt and bake on sheet pan in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes or until soft. Let cool slightly.
- In a large Dutch oven on medium heat, add bacon to pot. Cook until bacon is crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel lined plate. Reserve.
- Add flout and whisk into bacon drippings, about a minute or two.
- Add milk, cream, and wine, and whisk to blend, turn heat to simmer. Let simmer about 10 minutes or so.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, on baking sheet, add bread and bake until warm about 10 minutes or so. Remove from oven. Let rest.
- I peeled the potato skins off and cubed potatoes, you can do the same or just sccop out the pulp. Add to soup, along with the cheese, and 3/4 of the bacon. Reserving rest to top soup. Cook 5 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cut top off bread round, spoon in soup. Garnish with chopped chives, grated cheese and bacon. Serve immediately. Bread can be eaten when soup is gone if desired. I usually get my hands on some bread before my teens devvour it!