I have come to adore the taste of sweet and salty. Ever since I can remember I loved chocolate covered pretzels. Now combine, all of my favorites, chocolate, salty pretzels and caramel and you have one happy, happy girl! This starts with a layer of crushed pretzels, brownie batter and chocolate chips, then finished with a salted caramel layer that is to die for. This is so super easy and has such a tasty combination that would be perfect all by itself as a sexy brownie, or with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, because, well, why not?
I hope you give this a try!
Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownies
The perfect dessert combination of salty and sweet, that is just to die for!
Credit: CrazySexySavor.com/Susan Mangieri-Maurath
For the Brownies
- 1 cup of melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup of melted chocolate (semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave)
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 2 tbsp. of cooled strong black coffee (optional)
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup of flour
- pinch of salt
To complete the recipe
- 2 cups of crushed pretzels, I used Utz extra thin, pulsed them whole for barely a minute in my Ninja blender and it yielded perfect crushed pieces
- 3 tbsp. of melted butter
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 2 cups of my homemade Sexy Salted Caramel Sauce or 1 jar of commercially prepared
- Trapani Sicilian flaked sea salt, French Fleur de sel, (I used the Trapani Sicilian flaked sea salt)
For the brownies
- In a large bowl add flour, baking powder, and salt mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To a stand mixer or mixing bowl, add the melted butter and sugar, beat well to incorporate. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in vanilla and black coffee if using. Mix well. Add in coca powder, and melted chocolate and beat about two minutes. Add in flour mixture. Beat well to combine. Stir in chocolate chips by hand and set aside.
To assemble the brownies
- In a 9×13 baking dish, layer crushed pretzels to fill the pan, drizzle melted butter over the pretzels, press down lightly. Pour brownie mixture over the top of crushed pretzels. Smooth evenly with rubber spatula sprayed with cooking spray to make spreading a breeze.
- Warm salted caramel sauce for one minute in microwave, if you are taking it out of the fridge. In a single line, begin to spoon caramel sauce in one direction from top to bottom, making lines until you reach the end of the batter. With a sharp knife or skewer, pull the caramel through the brownie batter to swirl it into the batter. It doesn’t have to be precise, you will be topping the brownies with a drizzle of caramel and flaked sea salt later when cooled.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until center is done.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking rack. When brownies are cooled, cut into desired slices, drizzle on warmed salted caramel sauce and sprinkle with a tiny bit of flaked sea salt if desired. Devour!