The other day I posted my recipe for Mexican Shredded Chicken. With that shredded chicken I made some cheesy delicious shredded enchiladas. Using the leftover shredded chicken is boss in this recipe, it works perfect! I used a batch of my homemade enchilada sauce for this and store-bought low carb wheat tortillas to make this magical. I love to go all in with the cheesy goodness and I like to add cream cheese to the meat to give it a nice richness.
If you have leftover chicken or shredded chicken on hand you can put this together in no time. I make it ahead then use it the next day for a crazy busy weeknight meal, and I barely break a sweat!
I hope you give this a try. You can make this your own with a few tweaks, and use my authentic enchilada sauce recipe, found in this prior blog post. This is one you will want to keep in your repertoire. Perfect Pork Tamales.
This is an authentic, Mexican chicken enchilada, that's, easy, full of flavor with a little spice, so satisfying!
- You can use can enchilada sauce for this, two small cans or one large, but if you can make your own this will make all the difference!
- 1 3/4 cup of shredded chicken
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 3 oz. of cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce
- 6 floured tortillas
- shredded Mexican cheese blend about 2 cups
- 1 small can of diced chilis
- 1 tbsp. of solid vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, heat shortening over medium heat, add in onions and garlic, cook until translucent. About 3 or 4 minutes, season with salt and pepper, add in shredded chicken, green chilis, mix well with onion and garlic. Cook just until heated. Add cream cheese and let melt into chicken mixture. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat enchilada sauce for about two minutes. Remove. Spoon enough sauce in a thin layer to cover the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside. Add the enough enchilada sauce to a pie plate, or bowl, so you can dip the tortillas in reserve remaining for topping the enchiladas when they are in the baking dish.
- Dip a tortilla lightly into the sauce, place tortilla on cutting board, and begin placing chicken mixture down the middle of the tortilla, top chicken with some shredded cheese, and begin to roll tortilla, pushing in the filling and rolling in one step.
- Place seam side down on top of enchilada sauce in baking dish. Make room for the six rolled tortillas. Top with a generous layer of remaining enchilada sauce. Top with cheese. I love to load on the cheese, because I am a cheese freak, but you can scale back if you want to. I also tend to lay on the sauce, because I prefer my tortillas not to be dry, but do as you wish, no judgement here!
- Bake 20-25 minutes uncovered. Remove from oven. Top with your some nice lime crema, sliced jalapeños, some chopped cilantro. Devour!